*Insert obligatory comment about the long lines and overall poor-planning of The Great Googa Mooga HERE*
Alright, I’m glad we got that out of the way. Let’s move onto something a bit more current. Complaining about Googa Mooga is sooooooo four days ago. Next thing you know, I’ll be writing an op-ed about the Facebook IPO! Onto the Most Blogged Shows of the Week.
We all cracked on the name when we heard it (or read it, I guess), but it looks like DIIV has the last laugh as they’re this week’s MOST BLOGGED show AND my EDITORS PICK, and that’s for their free Hype-Machine-produced and Toyota Prius-sponsored show at Brooklyn Bowl tonight. It’s my pick for a few reasons.
1) It’s free.
2) DIIV are actually pretty awesome, if you haven’t heard them (or seen them) by now.
3) KILLER MIKE is also on the bill (holy shit!)
4) DIIV are about to blow up, so who knows what kind of venues they’re going to play from now on? And at what cost? Not that Brooklyn Bowl is “intimate” or anything, but you understand my meaning, no?
5) The openers, High Highs and Beat Culture are no slouches.
6) The first 150 people get some kind of “League Night” gift bags chock full of target-marketed goodies!
7) Did I mention it’s free?
Make sure you show up early (Brooklyn Bowl opens their doors at 6 PM.) I’d guess this thing’s going to be packed. I wouldn’t recommended showing up if you haven’t RSVP’d either, and that’s all closed up now. If you get turned away, The Deli Magazine’s Emerging Artists festival continues tonight at Public Assembly and Spike Hill. ALSO, a couple of awesome bands that have shared the bill with DIIV about 74 times (Night Manager, Heaven’s Gate) play Cameo Gallery for just $5 with some solid openers as well (Yvette, Mala Strana.)
If you happen to be in town this Memorial Day weekend, there are a couple of really good shows going on. Most notably: Black Dice, Extreme Animals and Call of the Wild over at Secret Project Robot on Saturday night. If you’re in the mood for something a bit less… uhhh, weird, we’ll say; Shigeto, Shlohmo and Braille will get you bobbing your head at Glasslands Gallery, also on Saturday.
I’m going to point this out, but please understand that this is not really a recommendation as much as it is a sign that SUMMER IS UPON US. SummerStage gets started on Tuesday with… Foster The People, The Kooks and Kimbra; which has sold out.
In stark comparison: Black Flag/Circle Jerks co-founder Keith Morris is in town on Tuesday with his new band OFF!, and a couple of bands he’s influenced quite a bit, Cerebral Ballzy and The Coathangers. Still tickets left for this one at Bowery Ballroom.
Peter Rittweger of My Social List
TOP 10 FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS
10. Great Lake Swimmers @ Bowery Ballroom w/ Cold Specks
Wednesday, May 30th at 8:00pm – 18+, $15 – $17 -> tickets
9. Church of Misery @ Cameo Art Gallery w/ Evoken, Gates of Slumber
Friday, May 25th at 7:00pm – 21+, $15 -> tickets
8. Rorschach @ (le) poisson rouge w/ Converge, Indecision, XADDAX
Saturday, May 26th at 5:00pm – all ages, $12 – $13 -> tickets
7. School Night! @ The Bowery Hotel w/ Ane Brun, Bobby Long, Julia Stone, Icky Blossoms, Caveman, School Night!
Thursday, May 24th at 8:00pm – 21+, FREE! -> tickets
6. Black Dice @ Secret Project Robot w/ Extreme Animals, Call Of The Wild
Saturday, May 26th at 3:00pm – 21+, $12 -> tickets
5. Girls & Boys @ Webster Hall w/ Simian Mobile Disco, Michael Mayer, Lindstrom, JDH & Dave P, Alex English, rekLES, Girls & Boys
Friday, May 25th at 10:00pm – 19+, $15 -> tickets
4. Shigeto @ Glasslands Gallery w/ Shlohmo, Braille
Saturday, May 26th at 11:30pm – 21+, $10 -> tickets
3. Foster the People @ Rumsey Playfield w/ The Kooks, Kimbra, Summerstage 2012
Tuesday, May 29th at 5:00pm – all ages, SOLD OUT
2. Off! @ Bowery Ballroom w/ Cerebral Ballzy, The Coathangers
Tuesday, May 29th at 8:00pm – 16+, $15 -> tickets
1. Hype Machine’s Fast Forward League Night @ Brooklyn Bowl w/ DIIV, High Highs, Killer Mike, Beat Culture, Awesome Tapes from Africa, Hype Machine’s Fast Forward League Night
Thursday, May 24th at 6:00pm – 21+, FREE! -> FREE!
SHOWS GOING ON SALE THIS WEEK:
Friday, May 25th at 10:00am
Friday, May 25th at 12:00pm
Field Mouse @ The Mercury Lounge on 07/21 – $10
Dent May @ The Mercury Lounge on 07/20 – $10 – $12
The Henry Clay People @ Brooklyn Bowl on 07/02 – $8
HITS @ The Mercury Lounge on 06/26 – $10
Pomegranates @ The Mercury Lounge on 07/27 – $10 – $12
Skaters @ The Mercury Lounge on 06/13 – $10
The Big Sleep @ The Mercury Lounge on 06/30 – $10
Deleted Scenes @ The Mercury Lounge on 07/19 – $10
Musaic @ The Mercury Lounge on 07/20 – $10
Monday, May 28th at 12:00pm
Tuesday, May 29th at 10:00am
Wednesday, May 30th at 12:00am