Sadly, our prayers from last week were not answered and the rain wiped out some of the best shows of the summer. Please take a moment of silence for the Afro-Punk Festival and the other shows that didn’t make it.
Now let’s get down to the business of this week. If you’re into hip-hop, you should already have tickets to our No. 1 show: Rock the Bells on Governors Island on Saturday with Lauryn Hill, Nas, Cypress Hill, Black Star, the GZA and many, many more. Electronic music more your thing? Luckily, Electric Zoo is going on all weekend at Randall’s Island with Tiesto, Moby, Diplo, Armin Van Buuren and a lot of other options to get your booty in the groove. Another great FREE option — with a mix of electronic and hip hop — takes place at City Winery on Labor Day: Fools Gold’s Day Off includes Juicy J, Danny Brown, Just Blaze, the Brothers Mackolovitch (A-Track & Dave 1) and others.
The pool may be dead, but Jelly is not! Check out our No. 2 show, Rock Yard at The Morgan with Pictureplane, White Hills, The Psychic Paramount, Wise Blood and the Realness on Saturday. Other indie options include Bright Eyes and Dr. Dog at the Wiliamsburg Waterfront tonight, and Twin Shadow and Daimond Rings at Maxwell’s on Tuesday.
TOP 10 SHOWS FOR THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS
10. Light Asylum @ Union Pool
Saturday, September 3rd at 4pm – 21+, FREE!
9. Wise Blood @ Glasslands Gallery w/ Cities Aviv, D’Eon and Supreme Cuts
Thursday, September 1st at 8pm – 21+, $10 -> tickets
8. Weekend @ Glasslands Gallery w/ Talk Normal, Brown Recluse and Grooms
Saturday, September 3rd at 8pm – 21+, $10 -> tickets
7. Electric Zoo @ Randall’s Island w/ Armin Van Buuren, Afrojack, DJ Snoopadelic, Calvin Harris, Boys Noize, Diplo, Richie Hawtin, Dubfire, Infected Mushroom and Gabriel & Dresden
Sunday, September 4th at 11am – All Ages, $249 -> tickets
6. Fool’s Gold Day Off @ City Winery w/ Juicy J, Danny Brown, Just Blaze, the Brothers Mackovitch (A-Trak & Dave 1), Araabmusik, Cubic Zirconia, Party Supplies and Nick Catchdubs
Monday, September 5th at 2pm – All Ages, FREE!
5. Pepper Rabbit @ The Mercury Lounge w/ We Barbarians and ANR
Tonight, August 31st at 7pm – 21+, $10 -> tickets
4. Twin Shadow @ Maxwell’s w/ Diamond Rings
Tuesday, September 6th at 8pm – All Ages, $12 -> tickets
3. Bright Eyes @ Williamsburg Waterfront w/ Dr. Dog
Tonight, August 31st at 25pm – All Ages, $35 -> tickets
2. Rock Yard @ The Morgan w/ Pictureplane, White Hills, The Psychic Paramount, Wise Blood and The Realness
Saturday, September 3rd at 2pm – 21+, FREE!
1. Rock the Bells @ Randall’s Island w/ Lauryn Hilll, Nas, Cypress Hill, Black Star, Immortal Technique, Doom, Big K.R.I.T., Raekwon & Ghostface, GZA, Mobb Deep and many, many more…
Saturday, September 3rd at 12pm – All Ages, $99 -> Tickets
NOTABLE SHOWS ON SALE THIS WEEK:
Presale Wednesday at Noon (most of these shows go on general sale Friday at Noon):
Petty Fest 2011 w/ tons of performers @ MHOW (10/5) & Bowery Ballroom (10/06) – $22
Adam Franklin & Bolts Of Melody @ The Mercury Lounge on 9/30 – $10
moe. @ Terminal 5 on11/25-26 – $32.5
The Drums @ Bowery Ballroom on 11/0 – $15
Chairlift @ The Mercury Lounge on 10/24 – $15
Bad Veins @ The Mercury Lounge on 10/6 – $10
Jojo Mayer’s NERVE @ The Mercury Lounge on 9/16 – $10
Fat Cat Records CMJ showcase @ The Mercury Lounge on 10/19 – $12
Assembly of Dust @ The Mercury Lounge on 12/30 & 12/31 – $35
Thursday at 12 pm:
Throwing Muses @ Bowery Ballroom on 10/16 – $20
The Psychedelic Furs @ The Wellmont Theatre on 10/8 – $30
Gang Gang Dance @ Bowery Ballroom on 10/22 – $20
Windish Agency CMJÂ showcase @ The Mercury Lounge on 10/21 – $12
Friday at Noon:
Slow Club @ The Mercury Lounge on 11/03 – $10
Mister Heavenly @ The Mercury Lounge on 11/20 – $15
Kaiser Chiefs @ Terminal 5 on 3/8 – $32.5
Future Islands @ Bowery Ballroom on 12/1 – $14
Still want more options? Check out My Social List’s database of FREE OUTDOOR concerts. My SocialList is happy to partner with Freewilliamsburg to bring you the next seven days’ most buzzed-about New York shows, as well as new shows going on sale this week. My Social List tracks nine of the most popular music blogs and aggregates mentions of bands to create weekly Top 10 Lists of the city’s most exciting and highly-anticipated shows.