In more real estate news, Cayuga Capital, the management company of several neighborhood residential buildings, including 44 Berry Street, acquired permits to begin transforming the former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church into 99 rental apartments and a parking lot. The company purchased the property in 2012, and was originally denied permission to build. The church originally opened in 1892, and was designed by architect Theobald M. Engelhardt.
More from Brownstoner:
New permits have been issued at 626-628 Bushwick Avenue, the former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church and school, pictured above, to convert the property into 99 rental apartments by developer Cayuga Capital. An Alt-1 permit to convert it to residential apartments was filed in February 2012 and disapproved the following month. There is a partial vacate order in effect on the property.
But a new permit using the address 616 Bushwick Avenue was granted in November. The three-story church will be turned into a four-story one, although the height will remain the same. There will also be horizontal additions, according to the permit.
A one-story scaffold that had covered the front of the buildings for years came down in 2012. In August, a new permit to erect scaffolding was granted, and now netting and pipe scaffolding covers the church all the way to the top of the steeple.
In October, Cayuga put a 90 percent interest stake in seven Bushwick properties on the market for $14,000,000 through MNS to raise funds to complete the Bushwick Avenue conversion, as we reportedat the time. The school and church were designed by architect Theobald M. Engelhardt and completed in 1885 and 1892, respectively. The church space has also been used for parties and a movie set. Click through to the jump to see the church in its scaffolding shroud.