As FREEwilly’s music editor, I get a lot of weird shit sent to my inbox. This arrived late last night with nothing but a YouTube link in the body of the email. When I found myself singing “Onion… is the Underdog” in my head while brushing my teeth this morning, I figured I should share:
The snow might shut down the city, but it can’t stop rock ‘n’ roll.
At least not Thursday night at Matchless bar in Greenpoint, where 19 ridiculously talented writers, rockers and raconteurs will come together to perform their own three-minute odes to youth, sex, booze, noise and a little thing called rock ‘n’ roll.
Check out the full list of readers below or on on facebook, or just put on your snowboots and trudge over there at 7pm. The whole thing is free.
Vol. 1 Brooklyn and Gigantic Present:
Greatest Three-Minute Rock ‘n’ Roll Story Ever
- Jami Attenberg (Author, The Melting Season)
- Justin Taylor (Author, Everything Here is the Best Thing Ever)
- Franz Nicolay (Musician/Writer, The Hold Steady/Complicated Gardening Techniques)
- Zachary German (Author, Eat When You Feel Sad)
- Nick Gazin (Artist, Vice Magazine)
- Jens Carstensen (The Giraffes)
- James Yeh (Gigantic)
- Aaron Hartman (Old Time Relijun/Girls in Trouble)
- Kendra Grant Malone (Poet, author of the chapbook Conor Oberst Sex)
- Mike Conklin (L Magazine)
- Chelsea Hodson (poet)
- Maura Johnston (The Awl/Village Voice)
- Eric Davidson (New Bomb Turks/Author of We Never Learn)
- Lincoln Michel (Gigantic/The Faster Times)
- Samuel Carter (Overflow Magazine)
- Derek Evers (Impose Magazine)
- Beverly Hames (Fox & Fawn/Vice blog)
- Aaron Lefkove (LiveFastDie/Liquor Store)
- Michaelangelo Matos (A.V. Club/The Stranger)
Plus! A Very special set by The Wailing Wall.
Hosted by Jason Diamond and James Yeh
No cover, totally free.
From my inbox, an email with the subject line: “Snow ball fight in McCarren Park tonight!”
At 7:18 pm, EST, the festivities will commence. McCarren park Snow Ball Fight. Be There.
Don’t say you weren’t warned!
Sometimes there are Twitter hashtags that leave me “out of the joke” and make me want to go hide. This is not one of them! With #WebBands, I can feel smart AND sassy! Go have fun.
Say “Thanks” or “Happy Birthday!” with a ten-pack of these cards from Etsy.
This is a boxed set of 10 cards and envelopes. It’s all one design: Hipster Cakes and sweets waiting for the L Train in NYC! They come in a clear and sturdy box. Each card is an A2 size (4.24 x 5.5) which is horizontally aligned, with a top tent-fold. A very nice gift item!